Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

Ever had a smell invade your nostrils and send you to another place? To another time even? Months, even years can fade into the distance and in that moment everything is so real. Almost like that memory just happened.


Today, I celebrated "2 weeks of pot pie". Interested?


I stood there in the kitchen, wondering, searching. I breathed in the frosty air and let out my own dragony steam into the freezer door. "What to cook...what to cook?" I glanced at the clock on the stove, 8:10, it's green numbers sneering the lateness of the day. Where had the time gone? We'd gotten home late from a fun-filled afternoon as a family. My husband sat on the couch, hungry but pleasant. That's when it caught my eye! "The Chicken Pot Pie." I had frozen this 2 weeks before my son Will, was born.




It defrosted rather quickly, steam rising from it's plastic walls. As I opened the bag, the aroma filled my nose, and my memories. They came flooding back all at once! -The extra bag I had made to "help myself out after the baby arrived," the Pot Pie my mom had made for us five days after the baby's due date, the Turkey and Ham Pot Pie my mom-in-law made with the Thanksgiving leftovers, the Chicken Pot Pie a sweet lady from my church had brought by the house 3 days after Will's birth, 4 Pot Pie's in two weeks time.


And with all of those yummy pie's came the memories, sleepless nights and 'bili' lights, of a new-to-nursing mommy and a sleepy Preacher, of a brand-new-baby's breath and family all around, of days filled with love and weighted with loneliness all at the same time.


And with all of those memories came the tears. "Splat, splat, splat" on the cold glass topped stove. Whirling around, I looked to the baby boy. His sweet face and slobbery smile rose to meet mine.




And the tears kept falling like rain.


"I don't want to forget..." Chicken Pot Pie = Will


When I'm having a hard day with Will, or with anyone else for that matter, I want to remember that smell. That "the baby's here" smell...will help to bring me back where I need to be. Remembering what's important, remembering what's real.


And so I'm reminded that God's Word tells us that when we do right and "walk in love" our Saviour is seen and smelt, if you will, in us!
Eph 5:2 states that Jesus
"... hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour."
 Our God's sees our (as the teens in our youth ministry like to say) "epic fails" and He, unfortunately, has to smell our "stinking savor" (Ecc 10:1) so many times. It's good to know that because of what Christ has done on Calvary, "we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ..." (2 Cor 2:15). Jer 31:34 says He remembers only the good things about us after we are made complete in Christ "...for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." He smells the Sacrifice, remembers His Son, and chooses to loves us.




Memories are an amazing thing...
Isaiah 49:15 "Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee."


Interesting link I found:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/smell3.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not sure how to comment? Click on the box below and pick one. You may pick 'name' if you have no google account and you don't have to fill in the 'URL' box.
Then, comment away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails